Ok, I’m somewhat back to normal now. That last post was due to extreme relief and drugs. lol.

Yesterday morning feels like a dream. I can’t believe it’s over. I’ve waited all this time and those teeth are finally gone, never to cause pain or headaches again! Woo-hoo!

My surgery was scheduled for 9:00 but I still had to wait for a bit. Fortunately I’d grabbed ‘Searching for God Knows What’ on my way out the door. They called my name and my dad came back with me. The nurse came in and started getting me all prepped. She asked me if I was nervous and I said a little. So she grinned and said, “You’ll be fine. Girls always do better than the boys. The boys always cry.” I immediately knew that I liked her. πŸ˜€

I had to take my sweatshirt off but she told me she’d get me a blanket if I was cold. She put a blood pressure thing on my arm that would squeeze my arm every few minutes. At one point I was starting to lose feeling in my arm and I was like, “Is this so I can’t feel the needle?” The doctor had me do the whole “breathe deep” thing and they had me take a couple of puffs from my inhaler, just in case. They put a pulse moniter on my finger and stuck wires to my chest and stomach. I *think* those were to moniter my heart. I got to be hooked up to one of those machines that you always see in movies with the lines going up and down and if the person dies, it flatlines. I quickly figured out that by changing my breathing patterns, I could make the numbers go up or down. πŸ˜€ (Leave it to me to figure out how to play with hospital equipment.)

The nurse also put an oxygen tube in my nose. When she first turned it on, the oxygen smelled weird. They had to change the blood pressure cuff because the other one was too big. Then the doctor started flicking the inside of my elbow, trying to get my veins to be more visible. I apparently have small veins. I hate needles so I looked away but I barely felt it. That was the worst part of the entire thing. The nurse asked me if I needed a blanket and I said yes. It was pretty cold in there. She got me all tucked in. πŸ™‚ Then they put some sort of drug in the IV. I jokingly asked if I got to count backwards. The last thing I remember clearly is the nurse asking me to open my mouth because she was going to put something in to keep it open while they operated. Past that, not much is clear. I remember kinda feeling pain a couple of times and opening my eyes. But the pain wasn’t too bad. The next thing I knew, they were saying, “Wake up Lauren. You did great.” So I was kinda awake but I wasn’t. It was weird.

They had me sit there for a bit, letting me get my bearings. It was *really* frustrating not being able to talk. I kept trying to say thank you and ended up signing it out of habit. They had another girl come in and keep an eye on me while I sat. When they thought I was doing better, they stuck me in a wheelchair. I was thinking I would just walk out and was pretty sure I was capable…..until I stood up. Never been so grateful for a wheelchair. (Well, other than the time I was in the ER.) Then I had to try and tell the girl what stuff was mine around my mouth full of gauze.

We kinda had to wait in line so we could check out, then we went downstairs and had to wait for my dad to get the car. I was so frustrated, not being able to talk. I think she understood though. πŸ™‚ On the way home, Dad asked me if I wanted to stop and get a milkshake and Vicodin or if I wanted him to drop me at home first. I opted for home. Dad joked about me being ready to go sing and so I started making some sort of noise through the gauze.

Then I got home and it was just comedy hour. πŸ™‚Β  Mom came in and was laughing at my attempts to talk through the gauze. She finally just handed me a pad of paper and a pen. The pen was a gift so it was wrapped in Christmas paper. So she had fun watching me try and open the darn thing. She was also teasing me because I had to wipe a little bit of drool off. Later she was on the phone with Jamie and they were teasing me about coming in and teaching my MOPS class this morning. Then my dad got home with the Vicodin and milk shake and I had to figure out how to take the pills with the gauze still in my mouth and my chin, bottom lip and front half of my tongue being numb. I asked him, “How am I supposed to do this?” And he says, “I don’t know” and had this look like, “But I’m going to have fun watching you figure it out.”

I got the pills down, took about a sip of the milkshake, then was asleep for the next 3 hours. When I woke up, my mouth was starting to hurt again so I took some Advil. Then, because I hadn’t eaten since the previous night and had been taking heavy medications, I began to feel ill, dizzy and almost blacked out. That was fun. I decided I’d better find some food. Fortunately the numbness was almost gone by then and the bleeding had stopped. So Mom made me some Dora the Explorer chicken noodle soup. πŸ™‚ I ate that, watched ‘Bewitched’, drank some of a yogurt smoothie that my dad got for me, IMed Sheryl, took more Vicodin and was pretty much out for the night.

When I woke up this morning, my mouth kinda hurt but not too bad. And I’m only a little bit swollen. If someone didn’t know me, I think they’d just assume that I have a slightly fuller face then I actually do. So I don’t look too chipmunky. πŸ™‚ All in all, this hasn’t been too bad of an experience. I have to go back to see the doctor next week, just to make sure I’m doing ok. But I think I’m going to get out of this without any horror stories to traumatize other people with. πŸ™‚

To those of you who prayed, thank you.

Blessings and courage!